Full Job Description
The West African Community Council is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing early childhood education, advocacy, and immigration assistance to the community. Our organization is dedicated to serving families from all social backgrounds regardless of their ethnicity, sexual orientation, cultural or religious beliefs.
PROGRAM: Early Learning Program
REPORTS TO: Early Learning Director
STATUS: Nonexempt full time (32 hours per week)
Provide a comfortable and secure environment for children to meet their emotional, social, intellectual, and physical needs. Organize and present materials that are age appropriate. Help children maintain their home language and culture while learning English and French.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Plan, organize, direct, manage, and supervise programs for preschool-age children and facilitate positive relations among Preschool Staff, parents, and the West African Community Council. This position requires strong supervisory, leadership, and communication skills along with a warm and nurturing disposition. Must be able to work positively within a parent-participation school environment and promote an atmosphere of community and cooperation among all interested parties:
- Maintain develop or modify curriculum to meet the needs of children enrolled in the Preschool and remain current with developments in the field. Develop long term plans to facilitate the growth of the Preschool.
- In conjunction with the Early Learning Director, define policies of admission, attendance, tuition, and educational goals and establish all other necessary policies procedures or rules pertaining to the operation of the Preschool.
- Have knowledge of developmentally appropriate curriculum, interactions and environments Oversee and assist the Preschool Staff in administering, planning, and evaluating activities and lesson plans that promote developmentally appropriate learning.
- Train and supervise the Preschool Staff by holding regular meetings, mediating minor disagreements, and assisting in the classroom when necessary.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and promote professional development, training, and staff meetings.
- Regularly monitor staff performance and provide coaching or mentoring for performance improvement and development. Provide day-to-day leadership and work with staff to ensure high performance and to promote a positive employee relations environment.
- Arrange for substitute help for the Preschool Staff (and serve as a substitute as needed).
- Primary responsibility for handling day-to-day administration of the Preschool, including determination of all schedules, assignment of Preschool Staff responsibilities, and utilization of office/classroom space and resources.
- Ensure compliance with licensing requirements of the Washington State Department of Early Learning, and City of Seattle Department of Education and Early Learning all other applicable county, state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
- Make sure health and safety programs are followed including universal health precautions, emergency procedures, and facility and equipment safety.
- Manage all aspects of student admissions.
- Keep and maintain full and complete records pertaining to the administration and operation of the Preschool.
- Communicate effectively with Preschool parents and staff, prospective families in order to promote understanding and support of the Preschool. Encourage feedback regarding Preschool programs and activities.
- AA. or BA Degree in Early Childhood Education
- Two-year paid experience working with preschoolers
- Experience volunteering or working in a multi-cultural environment with various educational backgrounds
- Must meet federal and state health and safety standards and maintain credentials for childcare (CPR and first aid, HIV, CPS Training, pass TB test)
- Current food handlers permit
- Have clean criminal background check
- Ability to lift a minimum of 45 pounds
- Associate (Required)
- licensed Daycare (preschool): 2 years (Required)
- CLOSES: Open until Filled
BENEFITS: Medical insurance, dental insurance; paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $22- $26.00 per hour
- Monday to Friday
Covid-19 Safety precautions are strictly enforced
- One location
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place